Google Android Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Android Forum

Google Android Forum | Google Android - Homepage

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

Kudos : 344

Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 7:10 pm

and i mean step by step.

It seems im pretty clear how to gain root, but im shit scared of flashing roms. It would have to be really simplified for me to attempt it.

Would have to include power offs. restarts and wipes and shit!
Back to top Go down
Knowfear

Knowfear

Kudos : 42

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Well it is really probably easiest to go ahead and put the "danger" SPL (1.33.2005) on when you root to avoid conflicts later on. Once you have that much done...

Put the ROM on the root of your SD card. (root meaning not in any folder)

1. Power phone off
2. Power phone on by holding the HOME key while you press POWER. Continue holding the home key until you get to the first splash screen. Then you can let it go and this will boot you into your recovery.
3. From recovery (which I will assume you have either CM 1.4 or Amon-Ra 1.2.x) scroll down to the wipe option. Click it. This will wipe your phone data.
***If you would like to clear your Dalvik-cache from recovery, go to console and type:

Code:
mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2/system/sd  <press enter>
rm -r /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*  <press enter>
recovery  <press enter>

**Alternately, I believe Amon-Ra's recovery has a Dalvik-cache clearing option***

This should put you back to your recovery menu

4. Select the option to choose any zip
5. Select which ROM you want to flash from the list
6. You will be prompted that you are about to flash <file name> click either Send or Home button (depending on recovery used), So click that.
7. The ROM will begin flashing. Just let it go until it finishes. Once complete it will return you to your recovery menu.
8. At this point you can wipe again just to be safe, or just reboot. You can reboot by pressing HOME+BACK keys or by just clicking the reboot option. I always use the HOME+BACK option since somewhere I read that you should do that. So...

Now once you reboot, you should be looking at your new ROM. You will need to sign back in with your Google credentials and you should be good to go.

Also note, your initial boot up may take up to 10 minutes depending on the ROM. This is normal. (it usually only takes me 3-4 tops)

And if you are going to use one of Cyanogens newer ROMs, the process changes slightly as you have to initially flash 2 separate files. If you are going this way, let me know and I will post the specifics of that if you need it.

If you need anymore help, feel free to gimme a shout.

Last edited by Knowfear on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Quote :
**If you would like to clear your Davlik-cache from recovery, go to console and type:

Code:
mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2/system/sd <press enter>
rm -r /system/sd/davlik-cache/* <press enter>
recovery <press enter>

**Alternately, I believe Amon-Ra's recovery has a Davlik-cache clearing option***

This should put you back to your recovery menu

4. Select the option to choose any zip

I kinda get lost here.

Console? Clear Cache?

Told ya, Dummies version is to complex for me lol
Back to top Go down
Knowfear

Knowfear

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 12:57 am

Console is the terminal portion of the recovery. Used for inputting Linux code. Clearing the cache is the same as clearing the cache on your computer. It just makes things run faster. On *most* ROM flashes, clearing the cache isn't an absolute necessity, but it really is helping you in the long run.

You can also clear it once the rom is up and running from the terminal

Code:
 su
cd /system/sd/dalvik-cache
rm *
exit
exit

Obviously the "cleaner" you can get your phone, sd card, and memory, the faster and more trouble free your flash will be.
Back to top Go down
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 am

When you say terminal i take it you mean terminal emulator?

Ive dabbled with root before and failed miserably.

Not because i bricked my phone ( i didnt) i just didnt listen properly and didnt really get anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Knowfear

Knowfear

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 2:05 am

Yes, same as terminal emulator.

If you are interested in rooting, I cannot recommend this link enough. Compliments of the XDA Wrecking Crew Very Happy

http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g1/12637-root-guide-stock-2-cyanogen-update-rom.html
Back to top Go down
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 2:13 am

Will definately give a look
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step   Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone tell me simply how to flash roms step by step
Page 1 of 1