Google Android Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Android Forum

Google Android Forum | Google Android - Homepage

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Essential Apps after Root

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

Kudos : 344

Essential Apps after Root Empty
PostSubject: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Now ive acheived root, what apps should i be making the most of?

I got Root Manager (although i have no idea what it does), but is there anything else i should be hitting up on?

Plan to having a laptop for a few weeks very soon so im thinking about tethering, is it worth it (p.s. i have the unlimeted data plan)
Back to top Go down
Etwone
The Boss
The Boss

Kudos : 233

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Defo do the tether mate, i use it when im out n about, internet is pretty speedy considering your on 3g network (About 0.5 MBS)

Get the overclock widget. It helps you manage your phones performance (Can be a battery saver or a speed demon Smile

Thts about all i use. I only rooted for the tether and its awesome.

E
Back to top Go down
https://android-forum.darkbb.com
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Assuming your on Cyanogens latest like me, can you hit me up with the tether stuff and overclock widget!
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Dalamar

Kudos : 128

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:28 am

OVERCLOCK WIDGET

Tether is built into Cyanogens Roms, in Settings, Wireless Control, Internet Tethering, and works via the USB Cable, but if you want a WiFi tether app, i use This One
Back to top Go down
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:35 am

Nice find Dal Smile

can i get nandroid from the market?
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Dalamar

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 am

Nandroid is built into your Recovery, (Amon Ra 1.5.2). just power off your phone, then hold HOME when you power it on, then from recovery choose "Backup/Restore" then "Nand Backup" (press home to confirm). then if you ever mess anything up, simply boot back to recovery and restore your NAND backup, and your good to go
Back to top Go down
Etwone
The Boss
The Boss

Kudos : 233

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Man im fooking loving tether.

Once i get my Nexus (fingers crossed) i should be able to use the HSDPA 7.2Mbps download speed. Which is just as fast as crappy broadband. Fast enough for online gaming :DDD

Man i love Android it has to be there most awesome thing ever. F*** THE IPHONE!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://android-forum.darkbb.com
wagtails

wagtails

Kudos : 92

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 pm

I am so lame... I have no idea what rooting is how to do it and all of that. Sorry guys, I am just not up to par with any of you. I heard something about rooting, that if you rooted a phone ( and I have no idea what that even means that you void the warranty and that your carrier will pretty much say tough luck if you have any problems with the phone) again sorry guys, I am sorry i am such a newbie, I love android but I guess I have a LOT to learn and hopefully I can learn it from the best here Surprised)

Debbie
Back to top Go down
Shoofwiar
The Muscle

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Its difficult to get your head around at first. Ive only been rooted a week or so now, but im loving it.

Still need Dal to hold my hand through the Radio and .SPL changes but i can now flash like a dirty pervert till my hearts content.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Dalamar

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 am

Hey Wagtails,
don't worry, we are not all at the same level, but that's the beauty of Android.
Android is as good a user experience that the user wants.
My girl is not tech savvy at all, but she loves her phone. I don't have her G1 rooted, but i am considering it, after seeing how well SuperD runs (Shoof, you know what i'm talkin about Smile )

now working in the industry that i do, there are a few loop holes to the whole root issue, and your warranty.

i won't go into full detail here, but it is not like rooting your phone will be the end of your support from Tmo. For example, i have gone through quite a few G1s, and 2 MyTouch phones. One of the most memorable was my rooted G1 that all of a sudden the speaker went out on, so i could only hear phone calls if i put the phone on speaker phone. Since this was a hardware issue, i got a replacement with no problems what so ever.

its a complicated issue, but root isn't for everyone. i put up a post on the G1 root section, you should read it, it may help clear up some questions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Essential Apps after Root   Essential Apps after Root I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Essential Apps after Root
Page 1 of 1