Google Android Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Android Forum

Google Android Forum | Google Android - Homepage

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Etwone
The Boss
The Boss

Kudos : 233

Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do Empty
PostSubject: Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do   Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi Guys

I've been considering rooting my phone for a while now and was just wondering the pro's and cons of it.

I understand that you can get some sort of tether that allows your laptop to connect to the internet via your phone...is this true??

Could really do with some help on this as ill be getting a new laptop soon and want internet on the go (without getting one of those internet usb sticks, which are bloody expensive)

Cheers Guys

E
Back to top Go down
https://android-forum.darkbb.com
Dalamar
Dalamar

Kudos : 128

PostSubject: Re: Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do   Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:15 am

I say go for it. Root will allow you to tether, so you could be on the go with your laptop, but just remember to keep the downloads low, as Tmo's "unlimited" data plan is not really unlimited.

The only con in my opinion is you consistantly have to try different roms to get the one that is right for you.
Back to top Go down
QMan

QMan

Kudos : 91

PostSubject: Re: Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do   Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 5:39 am

One of the reasons that I still love my G1 is because of the flexibility of being rooted. Not only do you get the tethering you also can have your apps stored on the sd card allowing for more than the G1's internal memory can hold. You can flash different boot images that provide even more memory, and the ROMs can take advantage of running the CPU at full speed.
Other advantages is that you can get real themes. Using a desktop replacement for a theme makes your home screen look cool but it is added overhead and is only the home screen. The rest of the phone can carry the same theme.
I think you get better tech support from the rooted community (althought I might be a little subjective there). You also get the newest stock releases much quicker than stock users.

The pros are almost endless.
As Dal suggested, finding the best rom for you can take a little time. And there can be a lot to choose from.
There is the possibility that your beautiful G1 could turn into a paperweight, ie 'brick'. But this is unlikely unless you do something stupid.

Thats all the cons that I can think of.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spotonyourlung.com
Etwone
The Boss
The Boss

Kudos : 233

PostSubject: Re: Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do   Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Wicked, sounds good.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to root my phone?

Iv tried before using mr c's guide he had on his profile (on the g1 forum) but sadly failed and lost everything on my phone.

Any help will be appreciated and will earn a Saviour profile title (like my 'Boss' one)

Many thanks

E
Back to top Go down
https://android-forum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do   Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rotting my Phone - To do or not to do
Page 1 of 1